Monday, June 20, 2005

As long as you keep trying, you've never failed.

Ello. When I got home from hockey today, when I opened the door, my sister jumped out from behind to scare me.


*cough* Dearie *cough*, I'm immune to shock. Well, sometimes.


An example is in primary school, when loads of people hated me. I was sitting at a table in the lovely study area, peacefully and innocently reading a book (I can't remember which), and this guy from 6E or something came along with his two giggling girlfriends (or boyfriends) and SHOUTED in my face to scare me. I glad he didn't spit. And it's like, I had no reaction at all. I was totally unruffled, just continued reading my book...


I think I scared him.


He was like, "Wah, how come not scared one?"


Horrible command of English grammar. And they sauntered away, leaving me alone to enjoy my book. I guess that's what you get when you're a prefect and everyone hates you. But I still enjoy my duties. =) Most of the time.


Mm. Today started off fair enough, but I was two minutes late (arrived at 9.32am) and the hockeyers had already started their jog. So, I jogged by myself. I've sort of improved my stamina...I think. I ran three rounds without hyperventilating or suffering stitches for the first time in a month.


And I didn't get into the team. -Stacy smiles sheepishly- Um, can you believe it, only FIVE people got in. Denise (duh, she's the goalie), Joanne (duh again, she's our best player), Clarice, Michelle and Si-Ning. I'm a bit surprised that Si-Ning got in... Well, a lot of people say she's a brilliant player, but I don't really see anything...special? NO OFFENCE, SI-NING, IF YOU READ THIS! I mean, her talent is on par with Matilda, who didn't even get in. Oh well. Maybe I'm blind to talent even if it hits me in the face.


What surprised me was that Enru didn't get in. She's like, a brilliant defender? Well, she hits really hard. (P.S. I think I'm the worst hitter in the team) Bother.


But what REALLY surprises me is that I'm not as upset as I thought I'd be. No, I didn't expect myself to cry or anything, but I thought I'd feel really bad...Maybe it's the fact that I get to try again next year. =) I vow that I'll make the team next year...I plan to practice every Thursday and during the weekends, in the field near my house. As long as no one's using it.


You know, lots of people say that if you fail, keep trying and you'll succeed the next time. I have a slightly different theory. I believe that as long as you keep trying, you've never failed, because it hasn't ended for you yet.


Ms Normala once told us, this scientist had to research for over 200 times to come up with some medicine or something, and finally he succeeded. Yet, when asked how he felt about failing so many times, the scientist looked the reporter straight in the eye and said, "I never failed".


w00t! You go, er, scientist. Nicely said.


Now you see why I'm not upset about not making the team. =)


Oh, by the way, my mum thinks I should resume swimming to, you know, build up my stamina again so I'll have a better chance at hockey. I agree, though I'm not very keen. Later I'm going swimming, that is, after getting my swimsuit at Safra Yishun. I haven't swum in at least two years, and my old swim suit is like, so small?


I wanna get a tan. =)


Optimistically yours,
Stace