Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Poems, honestly, should be left to the lit teachers. And even with the latter, I am doubtful. You see, I scored 6.5/10 for my poem, but that's not what I'm mad about. (Though it was rather ironic, seeing as she stated 'Wow! Nice!' but still gave me an absymal score) The fact is, she didn't even understand what I meant by:


The 'hit' and the 'ler' we'd tossed around
in bitter words, defenestrated
but swinging back like boomerangs.


(See full poem a full posts below)


Alright, I admit it was a little hard to understand, but still.
I'm not saying my poem should get a good mark. I had it coming, since it wasn't all that relevent to the topic anyway. And, I was never a good poet. I know some really good poets online who would probably pass my poems off as mediocre.


It's just that... I've witnessed some crappy poems (not mentioning any names! ha.) getting high high high high scores like HOMG 8/10 and they do not have any structure at all, the lines are totally out, and the rhyming is so obviously forced. I was like, what the fuck? It's all just prose crammed into a poem, and that sucks, seriously.


I hope you understand that it is quite... understandable... for me to be slightly irritated because even if my content wasn't all good, I did work on my structure, and I tried to make the poem rhyme where it should and make it seem abstract in others. Yes, I actually checked to make sure that all lines had the same (or roughly the same) number of syllables, I worked on imagery, and I tried to make it flow.


If all she cares about is the content, well...


Nevermind. Remind me not to work so hard on poems for English class next time. I shall devote my soul to English Literature.


Bah!


Going to RI tomorrow, btw.