Sunday, October 23, 2005

-

Faith by Piper Wheeler


My mother works with a woman,
who screams at God
as if he were an unfaithful lover.
My mother laughs,
but the woman looks to the sky
in case it has something to tell her.


I was an atheist by six,
when my grandfather died
and I could see
the clouds were too high and clean
to take him. I could tell
he went nowhere, but died
only a body
and a memory. My mother
didn't argue.


But now she is on God's side,
defending him
against the woman's demands.
I think my mother admires her, though,
the faith that is needed
to keep up an argument
with someone who never responds.


--


I adore the last three lines.


Anyway, I clearly remember that at the start of this year I stated in this very blog (maybe I can still find the post) that I resolved to become a devout Christian by the end of this year.


I don't think I've failed. I just quit. The prospect of failing or succeeding is left hanging - no one will ever know. Then again, depending on your definition of failure, maybe you think giving up is ultimately failing. I guess in a sense it is, but I don't regret failing, if that's what you call it.


God? The no balled, non existent fellow?


I think I can be flamed and slammed and maybe even prosecuted for this.


I wish we were a democratic country.


Because we aren't.


Who cares.


God. Science never proved it. Jesus Christ might be a quack, or just a very good person. That cross some people wear everyday to school represents an innocent man's death. Nothing more.


Evolution. People have asked us why we are so stupid as to think that us, wonderful, miraculous creations, originated from single cells and mud and earth and water.


Are they implying that Science is horrible?


Are they implying that animals are horrible, since it is known that animals came to be before we came into the world?


Humans have come to regard themselves as almighty rulers of the earth.


I think everyone is what they think themselves to be.


If you think you're a god, you got the attitude and the confidence and the frickin proof, then you're a god. You think you're a loser, you're a loser. Think you're a slave? You're a slave.


God can't define us.


Because there is no God.


(:


I realize that this "philosophical" reflection isn't very consistent and jumps from place to place, but heck. I'm tired. And I have a neglected msn conversation to reply to.