Saturday, March 18, 2006

I like chemistry.
it's always been viewed as the neutral of the three science modules, for the most part.


e.g. Bio's easy. Physics' hard. Chem's in between, though there's a lot to memorize.


I think that's the main opinion, though. Well, yeah, mine too. But I still like chem.


I like physics, can't understand it. Is loved anyway.
Like bio, understand it. Is loved.
Like chem, sort of understand it. Still loved.


I LOVE SCIENCE WHEE.


Yes, I shall have my happy ending.
don't worry, avril, I still love you.


Well, how not to? Everybody loves Avril. Even you.


Yeah, you.


There's a lot to study for our first Chem topic. Something 'bout chemical changes.
No, chemical changes.
oh wow. I just flipped the page. There's a pretty picture on page 211.


No war speech is finished. Wonder how my class'll take it.
I can imagine myself standing on the makeshift podium (a wooden cube thing mrs lee has) and delivering the speech very... err... passionately.
It's all in the imagination.
Whether or not I'll have the courage to do so, bleh.


But it's not like Mrs. Lee's focusing too much on the speech itself. All she wants to do is gauge our oral skills.


I can do it! I just know I can!
I just don't dare to in front of the whole class.
Inhibitions.


.


I remember ever since p5, we'd have five speakers from one class coming up every week to do the whole public-speaking thing. During assembly. On the stage. In front of the whole school. Like one week it'd be 6A (always the top class from the highest level first), next week 6B, blah blah blah etc.


I remember I made a speech in p5 and another in p6.
In p5 I talked about pets. I mean animals. I mean, yeah, pets. Something about how we shouldn't abuse animals. About how I loved animals. About I had a lot of pets (at that time) and together with the number of pets Paula had, we could collaborate to form a mini zoo. XD
Young and innocent.


In p6 I talked about my poetry. Read out a poem of my own. The theme that year was show and tell.
I was a self-proclaimed poet back then. Notsomuch now.


There was a catch, though. After all of us from 6A had given our speeches, that ****** teacher Mrs - went up on stage, and proudly and bossily announced something like


"I'd like to say that those from p6a did their speeches wrongly. blah blah blah, it's supposed to be a show and tell event, but they only did etc. etc. etc."


Oh, and then she said something rather humiliating, went along the lines of


"Do not follow their example, it's a bad example and we don't want any of you repeating that mistake."


PSHAW.


Anyway, our form teacher Mrs Lee (that was before she went on maternity leave) had a 'talk' with us speech-makers. Apparently most of us didn't catch on to the theme of the event properly. Show and tell. Lots of us did something else, can't remember which.


She said there was nothin' wrong with what I did, though. In a way. Because I 'showed' my poem and talked about it.


A-nyway. Mrs Lee was kind of angry - both at us for not following the theme and at Mrs _ for disgracing us like that. Not that we felt particularly disgraced, that is, but I guess Mrs Lee was into the whole '6A is the best class in the whole school, you set an example for the younger kids' thing.


So we all, including me, had to re-do our speeches. We kinda negotiated a deal with Mrs _. So yeah.


And thus for my next speech I did a review of a book. Most people were bored. However when I left the stage to resume my seat in the hall most teachers seemed to be interested in my book.


I remember I was rather nervous during the first speech, the one on poetry. My legs were literally shaking; don't think anyone noticed much though. Hands clammy. Missed out lots of lines.


I didn't remember being that nervous during the speech I made in p5.
But I don't think I was as nervous for the book-review speech thingy.


oh wow.


Speaking of shaking legs, I got really absolutely leg-shakingly nervous when I received my psle results and had to go onto the stage. Didn't... expect... the honour.


Psh.


Hm. I met Wei Gin today.
ang mo kio
near the library
outside Courts


We smiled, I waved, that was it.
But it's always nice to meet an old friend who doesn't blatantly ignore you.
*cough*